Protect Your Hickory Business by Being Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned
Our Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned initiative is designed to professionally clean and disinfect your business!
Let Us Help You Reopen Your Business
Many states have begun to roll back their economy as COVID-19 continues to spread, and North Carolina has decided to stay in Phase 2 for an additional 3 weeks. Still, we’re all adapting to a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying healthy is a top concern. The coronavirus pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet that new standard.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is our new defensive cleaning program helps businesses and commercial locations address the current pandemic. This proactive pathogen cleaning program doesn’t replace your standard janitorial cleaning; it goes a step beyond that. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and our community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard.
We’re Highly Trained and Use Specialized Equipment
SERVPRO stands on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. In addition to fire and water damage cleanup and restoration, our professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills—always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence our community continues to reopen.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
You need a partner who has developed an industry-leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable, and Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
- Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a custom cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high-frequency touchpoints, foot traffic, and congestion points.
- Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for the cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call Today for a Consultation
We’re Here to Help—24 hours a day, seven days a week—until life is back to normal here in the Hickory, NC.
Call SERVPRO of Catawba County West today at (828) 322-4400 for your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation.
3 Things You Should Never Do After You Have Water Damage
Don't try to dry your own floors. This should be properly done by your local disaster restoration professionals.
Although water damage incidents are relatively common in the Hickory, NC area, many people aren’t prepared to handle them when they happen. Unless you’ve experienced a similar situation before, you likely aren’t even sure what steps you should take next. But even if you know what to do, it’s just as important that you know what not to do.
- Do not use a vacuum to extract water damage. Vacuums are meant for sucking up dirt and debris, not water. If you try to use a standard household vacuum, you can end up damaging the vacuum or yourself.
- Do not use household appliances. Water and electricity aren’t a good mix, so avoid using your appliances until it’s been deemed safe to do so. Doing so otherwise can lead to injury or further damages.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet. If water originated from an upper level of your property, the ceilings on lower floors may be affected as well. In this case, do not turn on ceiling fans or lights, as this may cause further damage.
If you have water damage, it’s always best to call for professional help. These experts can guide on next steps and get your property back to its pre-disaster condition. If you live in the Hickory, NC area, you can call SERVPRO of Catawba County West 24/7 at (828) 322-4400!
What’s the Difference: Flood Watch versus Flood Warning
Do you remember the last time your phone alerted you about a local flood watch? If you’re like many people, you probably silence the device and ignore it. For others, they simply don’t know what it means. Authorities send these weather advisories because they are important to our safety, but if you don’t know what a flood watch is, it can be difficult to respond.
Be Alert During a Flood Watch
Heavy, long-lasting rain can be problematic when you live near a body of water. If the water levels exceed capacity, this can create flooding in nearby areas. A flood watch is issued by authorities when conditions are right for this happen.
If your area is in range, you don’t need to panic. A “watch” simply means you need to prepare for potential flooding. At this point, monitor your local news outlet and be ready to take action.
Take Action During a Flood Warning
A flood warning is more urgent and is only issued when flooding is actually occurring or imminent. In this instance, you do need to act if you’re in the affected region (usually issued by county). If possible, get to higher ground and continue to monitor the news for updates and alerts.
Call the Experts for Flood Cleanup and Restoration
Flooding can be extremely dangerous to you and your home. In addition to potentially ruining your belongings and your home’s structure, floodwaters can carry pathogens. Fortunately, our team at SERVPRO of Catawba County West has the experience and training to clean up flood damage. If you have flooding, you can call us anytime at (828) 322-4400.
3 Ways to Prevent Water Pipe Damage
Pipes play an important role in our home, but it's important we take care of them!
Leaking and ruptured pipes are a problem that many homeowners in our community have faced at one point or another. We rely on these pipes to carry water throughout our home, but that very same water can lead to thousands of dollars in damage. Fortunately, this kind of water damage isn’t a foregone conclusion—there are a few steps you can take to prevent damage to your water pipes.
- Install a water softener. Believe it or not, hard water (water with high concentrations of dissolved minerals) is a problem that many homes in the U.S. face. This abrasive water can cause particular damage to your pipes, which can weaken over time. One possible way to mitigate the damage is to install a water softener, which helps filter out these minerals!
- Regulate your water pressure. High water pressure is one of the most common culprits of pipe damage, as the extra pressure can overwhelm pipes and lower the life expectancy of your appliances. If you see signs of high water pressure, contact your local plumber to install or replace your pressure reducing valve.
- Insulate them during the winter. When temperatures drop below freezing, pipes tend to freeze, which can cause undue pressure on the system and lead to ruptures. To help prevent freezing, insulate the pipes, especially if they are exposed or in areas that aren’t otherwise well-regulated.
Water damage can be expensive and stressful to clean up. At SERVPRO of Catawba County West, we have highly trained professionals who can help you navigate the process and get your home back to normal. If you have water damage in the Hickory, NC area, call us anytime at (828) 322-4400!
3 Tips to Prevent Flooding
Flooding can happen to nearly anyone, so it's a good idea to take some preventative steps!
Within the past year, we’ve had two major storm events: one last June and one this past February. This caused a lot of homes and businesses to have flooding. For many, it was a wakeup call to purchase flood insurance; for others, it was a call-to-action to further fortify their property. Even if you weren’t affected these last two incidents, there are a few things you can do to prevent flooding in the future.
- Clean your gutters. Yes, everyone’s least favorite chore is actually one of the most important ways you can prevent flooding. Your gutters serve as a first line of defense against rain because it redirects it from your home. If you allow them to accrue a buildup of leaves and other debris, it can cause water to pool up and flood your home.
- Consider landscaping your home. Some homes are better positioned than others to avoid flooding. This isn’t true for homes on a downward slope or without sufficient drainage. The ground should always slope away from your home, and water needs places to drain to prevent it from pooling. For tips and ideas on how to achieve this, check out this resource!
- Install a sump pump. If you have a basement, then a sump pump is going to be your friend. This device captures water in your basement and then pumps it out of your home. If you don’t have one already, consider investing in one. If you do have one, make sure to maintain it so it still works when you need it!
There are many steps you can take to prevent flooding, but there’s still a chance your home could be affected. If you do have flooding, don’t panic! Our professional team at SERVPRO of Catawba County West has helped thousands of homes and businesses recover from disasters. You can call us anytime at (828) 322-4400!
The Fire Damage Cleanup Process
If your home has a fire, there’s a lot you’ll have to worry about. At SERVPRO of Catawba County West, what we don’t want you to worry about is your home or belongings. Our professionally trained team has helped thousands of homeowners recover from fires, flooding, and more. Although the fire cleanup process can vary to some degree, we’ve outlined the steps you can expect us to take.
- Assessing the damage. When you first call our office, we’ll dispatch somebody from our team to visually inspect the damages. This will allow us to determine next steps and prepare the necessary crews and equipment.
- Extract any water damage (if applicable). If you had to call the local fire department, your home will more than likely also have water damage. Because water can present its own set of challenges, we’ll have a team extract the water and begin the drying process.
- Inventory, pack out, and restore your belongings. We know that your possessions are often irreplaceable, so we put a lot of care and attention into restoring them. Our contents specialists take photos of all your possessions and digitally inventory them into our system. We then box and relocate them to our warehouse to be professionally cleaned and restored.
- (Note: Some items may not be salvageable, but we always speak with you before disposing of anything.)
- Clean your home’s interior. Barring any extreme circumstances, our team will clean the interior of your home, including the walls, ceiling, and carpets. We will also clean your home’s HVAC system, which will be contaminated with soot and other debris. In some cases, we are even available to do the repair work!
- Return your belongings. Once the cleaning and repair processes are complete, our team will return your restored belongings back to your home. This is the final step in getting your home back to normal!
We’ve seen first-hand how devastating fires can be, so we understand how stressful these situations can be. If you have a house fire and need our professional cleanup services, call us anytime at (828) 322-4400!
The 3 Categories of Water Damage
Floodwaters are considered highly unsanitary and can pose health risks!
Not all water damage is created equal. For homeowners, the end result is the same: remove the water from the home. The cleanup process, however, can drastically change depending on the kind of water. There are 3 classifications of water damage: clean, gray, and black. Each one poses a different level of threat and requires a different cleanup process.
Category 1: Clean Water
Nobody wants water damage, but if you do have it, your best hope is that it is clean water. This is potable water that comes from sources like a burst water pipe or a damaged refrigerator supply line. Category 1 water damages are the most straightforward to clean, but if the water is left long enough, it can deteriorate into a Category 2.
Category 2: Gray Water
Water with a significant degree of contamination is classified as Category 2 water damage. Gray water can cause some health issues, so it requires some cleaning treatment in addition to the standard drying process. This kind of water comes from washing machine discharges, aquariums, and other similar sources.
Category 3: Black Water
Category 3 water is extremely unsanitary and poses significant health risks. This kind of water can come from outside water (flooding) or sewage backups. In these cases, our technicians need to wear full PPE and perform multi-step cleaning processes. In fact, with black water, it’s strongly advised that elderly or immunocompromised individuals evacuate the home until it is safe to do so.
Professional Water Removal
No matter what category of water damage your property may have, SERVPRO of Catawba County West is equipped to handle it. We’ve helped thousands of home and business owners recover from all types of incidents. If you have water damage and need professional help, call us today at (828) 322-4400!
Prepare During National Hurricane Preparedness Week
Hurricanes can be devastating, which is why it's important to prepare now!
This last week was National Hurricane Preparedness Week! Although it’s rare that our area is struck directly by a hurricane, we often experience some of the effects. Scientists have predicted that 2020 will have an above-average hurricane season, so preparation is even more important this year. Here are a few things you should be thinking about:
- Consider your risk. Although we may not worry about a direct hit, depending on where you live, you may be at risk. If you live near Lake Hickory, for example, you may have flooding. If you are in prone areas, you should consider additional preparations.
- Review your insurance coverage. You never know what type of damage you could have, so it’s a good idea to review your coverage with your provider. At the very least, consider getting flood insurance, as hundreds of local homes have had flood damage in the past year.
In 2018, our team drove to Wilmington, NC to help clean up the aftermath of Hurricane Florence. While our area was lucky, we have seen first-hand how destructive hurricanes can be. We hope you’ll take the time to prepare, and if you would like to see what other steps you can take, visit the National Weather Service’s website!
Why You May Need Disinfecting Services at Your Commercial Property
We use fogging and other processes to clean and disinfect your business.
The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the importance of keeping your workplace clean and sanitized. We’ve been offering cleaning and disinfecting services to local businesses that want to help reduce the spread of the coronavirus at their property, but we’ve actually offered this service for years. There are multiple reasons why you might want professional disinfecting services beyond this pandemic.
Localized Outbreaks in Schools and Gyms
Flu and stomach pathogens were prevalent issues long before COVID-19. Some schools have had to temporarily close to address outbreaks that were affecting many of their students. If your school, gym, or high-traffic business wants to get ahead of the problem, call us for a proactive cleaning. This won’t completely eliminate the problem, but it will help reduce the spread.
Sewage or Biohazard Incident
If you had a sewage backup or a biohazard incident at your place of business, you’re potentially exposing your employees and your customers to viruses and bacteria. Our team has the training and expertise to not only clean these incidents but to also disinfect the affected areas. This can help limit the overall damage!
Your Cleanup Professionals
SERVPRO of Catawba County West understands the risks that pathogens can present. That’s why we follow safety protocols and regulations to clean and disinfect businesses that might have a problem. If you need a professional cleaning or want to learn more, call us at (828) 322-4400!
3 Ways to Prepare for Spring Storms
Your roof and gutters play an integral part in protecting your home from flooding!
We recently experienced a strong storm that caused damage through much of North Carolina. While many of us in the Hickory area managed to get away with minimal damage, the incident was a reminder of the potential destruction these storms can bring. Now that storm season has picked up, we’re sharing 3 things you can do to prepare!
- Clean your gutters. Your gutters are your first line of defense against flooding. They are designed to catch and redirect rain away from your home, but if they are not clean, they have the potential to back up and cause problems.
- Remove any problem trees. After nearly every major storm, we get calls from people who have had a tree fall on their homes. If you have any sick or otherwise problematic trees near your home, have them removed or trimmed before they cause significant damage!
- Repair any known cracks or other structural problems. Don’t put off any repair projects. We often get calls during storms where customers discover water leaking through the roof. If you know of any structural issues, be sure to have them patched immediately!
There’s no telling how strong the next storm will be, if you take precautions, you can mitigate the damage. If you do have storm damage, however, know that our professionals at SERVPRO of Catawba County West are always available to help!