3 Easy Ways to Prevent Water Damage at Your Hickory Business
Our team extracted water from a local office after a pipe burst.
Water damage is one of the last things you want at your place of business. Besides being expensive to clean up, it can force you to halt operations and put you at risk for mold growth. This issue is compounded by the presence of COVID-19, which has many businesses strapped for cash.
Having served the Hickory, NC community for more than a decade, we’ve seen first-hand how disruptive water damage incidents can be. If you’d like to avoid a similar situation, below are some steps you can take to lower your risk.
- If your business is temporarily closed, shut off the water. The more time water has to seep into your property, the greater the damages. Since many businesses are temporarily closed during the pandemic, these properties are often unattended. Do yourself a favor and shut off the water until you plan to resume operations—otherwise, you may come back to discover an unwelcome surprise.
- Install water-detection devices. Even if you’re still operating, water damages can happen without your knowledge. You can catch these incidents early on by installing water-detection devices that send you an alert when water is detected. These notifications will allow you to stop a minor issue before it becomes a major one.
- Check for leaks every few months. A water-detection device can help you detect water on the floor of your property, but what about leaks that are hidden behind your walls? In this case, shut off our water for about an hour every few months. After this hour check your meter and check to see if the water usage has increased. If it has, you may have a leak.
Most water damage incidents can be prevented by taking precautions like the ones above. If your business does have damage, however, know that help is just a phone call away. We serve the Hickory, NC area 24/7, so if you need help, call us today at (828) 322-4400!
Why Our Customers Love Us
Our customers sometimes send us thank-you cards for helping them get through a difficult time!
For over a decade, we have helped Hickory residents recover from fire damages, flooding, mold, and more. We’ve invested a lot into this community, and we are always honored to serve those in their time of need. This is why it’s rewarding to hear from our customers—whether it’s an online review, a letter, or directly from the customer. If you’re unsure why you should call us to clean and restore your damaged home, here’s what some of our past customers have had to say!
"Rick and Josh were outstanding in their job performances. Going above and beyond is an understatement, as these guys made sure the work was 150% complete. SERVPRO is lucky to have them. We really appreciate the work they did at our home."
"Very satisfied. On both occasions, your staff worked to meet the requested time frame. They accommodated us with a few hours, did an outstanding job of covering our entire facility. We would highly recommend them to any manufacturing facility that needs a thorough disinfecting service."
"We contacted SERVPRO to assist us in the decontamination of our office due to a case of COVID-19. I called and they were there that same afternoon and completed the project with a super reasonable cost. If this is needed again during this crisis, I am sure they will once again answer our call. Thank you SERVPRO!"
We put a strong emphasis on the customer experience, which is why we are proud to receive such positive comments. If you’re considering us, know that we are available 24/7 to meet your emergency cleanup and restoration needs!
Grilling Safety Tips
Grilling can be fun, but there are steps you can take to also make safe!
There’s no better time to grill than in the summer. Although COVID-19 has put a hamper on many social events, you can still grill hotdogs and hamburgers for your immediate family. While a grill can be a great way to prepare summer favorites, it can also be a fire hazard. If you plan to grill, there are a few safety tips you should keep in mind.
- Grill at least 10 feet away from your home. You might be very careful, but accidents can happen. That’s why you should keep your grill at least 10 feet away from your home. Otherwise, a small flame could become a large house fire.
- Never leave your grill unattended. Fires can get out of control in a matter of seconds, so you should never leave a grill unattended while it’s still in use. If you need to leave the area for any reason, have somebody else stand by or turn off the grill until you can return.
- Keep a fire extinguisher within close proximity. If you have an incident, you can potentially keep it from getting out of hand with a fire extinguisher. Always keep one within a couple of steps so you can quickly access it if needed.
- Clean your grill regularly. Grease makes a great fuel source for a fire, which is why a clean grill is a safer grill. Always clean your grill after each use to prevent grease buildup.
This year has already been especially difficult, so don’t make it any tougher by having an out-of-control fire. The above tips can help mitigate your risk, but it’s still possible you’ll have an accident. If your home has fire damage, you’ll need professional cleanup and restoration services. Fortunately, if you live Hickory, NC, SERVPRO of Catawba County West is available at 24/7 at (828) 322-4400!
Why You Should Have Your Ducts Cleaned After a Fire
If you recently had a house fire, you should have your ducts professionally cleaned!
If you have a house fire, there are a lot of things to take care of as you try to reclaim your disrupted life. Besides working with your insurance, you have to clean your affected belongings and repair structural damages. But there are other things you have to consider—such as having your HVAC system professionally cleaned.
Soot-Contaminated HVAC Systems Can Cause Problems
Your duct system is probably one of the last things you think of when you recover from a house fire, but soot and smoke will have clogged up the system, which can strain and/or ruin the system. Even if it didn’t, it would redistribute soot particles around your home, which can cover belongings that were previously cleaned. A contaminated HVAC system will also contribute to the smoke smell that lingers after a fire.
Get a Professional Duct Cleaning
If you have a house fire, be sure to ask your local fire damage restoration company if they can clean your HVAC system if they don’t already offer. Our team at SERVPRO of Catawba County West is trained and certified to do both, so if you need comprehensive cleanup and restoration services, call us today at (828) 322-4400!
Protect Your Hickory Business by Being Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned
Our Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned initiative is designed to professionally clean and disinfect your business!
Let Us Help You Reopen Your Business
Many states have begun to roll back their economy as COVID-19 continues to spread, and North Carolina has decided to stay in Phase 2 for an additional 3 weeks. Still, we’re all adapting to a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying healthy is a top concern. The coronavirus pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet that new standard.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is our new defensive cleaning program helps businesses and commercial locations address the current pandemic. This proactive pathogen cleaning program doesn’t replace your standard janitorial cleaning; it goes a step beyond that. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and our community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard.
We’re Highly Trained and Use Specialized Equipment
SERVPRO stands on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. In addition to fire and water damage cleanup and restoration, our professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills—always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence our community continues to reopen.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
You need a partner who has developed an industry-leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable, and Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
- Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a custom cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high-frequency touchpoints, foot traffic, and congestion points.
- Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for the cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call Today for a Consultation
We’re Here to Help—24 hours a day, seven days a week—until life is back to normal here in the Hickory, NC.
Call SERVPRO of Catawba County West today at (828) 322-4400 for your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation.
3 Things You Should Never Do After You Have Water Damage
Don't try to dry your own floors. This should be properly done by your local disaster restoration professionals.
Although water damage incidents are relatively common in the Hickory, NC area, many people aren’t prepared to handle them when they happen. Unless you’ve experienced a similar situation before, you likely aren’t even sure what steps you should take next. But even if you know what to do, it’s just as important that you know what not to do.
- Do not use a vacuum to extract water damage. Vacuums are meant for sucking up dirt and debris, not water. If you try to use a standard household vacuum, you can end up damaging the vacuum or yourself.
- Do not use household appliances. Water and electricity aren’t a good mix, so avoid using your appliances until it’s been deemed safe to do so. Doing so otherwise can lead to injury or further damages.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet. If water originated from an upper level of your property, the ceilings on lower floors may be affected as well. In this case, do not turn on ceiling fans or lights, as this may cause further damage.
If you have water damage, it’s always best to call for professional help. These experts can guide on next steps and get your property back to its pre-disaster condition. If you live in the Hickory, NC area, you can call SERVPRO of Catawba County West 24/7 at (828) 322-4400!
What’s the Difference: Flood Watch versus Flood Warning
Do you remember the last time your phone alerted you about a local flood watch? If you’re like many people, you probably silence the device and ignore it. For others, they simply don’t know what it means. Authorities send these weather advisories because they are important to our safety, but if you don’t know what a flood watch is, it can be difficult to respond.
Be Alert During a Flood Watch
Heavy, long-lasting rain can be problematic when you live near a body of water. If the water levels exceed capacity, this can create flooding in nearby areas. A flood watch is issued by authorities when conditions are right for this happen.
If your area is in range, you don’t need to panic. A “watch” simply means you need to prepare for potential flooding. At this point, monitor your local news outlet and be ready to take action.
Take Action During a Flood Warning
A flood warning is more urgent and is only issued when flooding is actually occurring or imminent. In this instance, you do need to act if you’re in the affected region (usually issued by county). If possible, get to higher ground and continue to monitor the news for updates and alerts.
Call the Experts for Flood Cleanup and Restoration
Flooding can be extremely dangerous to you and your home. In addition to potentially ruining your belongings and your home’s structure, floodwaters can carry pathogens. Fortunately, our team at SERVPRO of Catawba County West has the experience and training to clean up flood damage. If you have flooding, you can call us anytime at (828) 322-4400.
3 Ways to Prevent Water Pipe Damage
Pipes play an important role in our home, but it's important we take care of them!
Leaking and ruptured pipes are a problem that many homeowners in our community have faced at one point or another. We rely on these pipes to carry water throughout our home, but that very same water can lead to thousands of dollars in damage. Fortunately, this kind of water damage isn’t a foregone conclusion—there are a few steps you can take to prevent damage to your water pipes.
- Install a water softener. Believe it or not, hard water (water with high concentrations of dissolved minerals) is a problem that many homes in the U.S. face. This abrasive water can cause particular damage to your pipes, which can weaken over time. One possible way to mitigate the damage is to install a water softener, which helps filter out these minerals!
- Regulate your water pressure. High water pressure is one of the most common culprits of pipe damage, as the extra pressure can overwhelm pipes and lower the life expectancy of your appliances. If you see signs of high water pressure, contact your local plumber to install or replace your pressure reducing valve.
- Insulate them during the winter. When temperatures drop below freezing, pipes tend to freeze, which can cause undue pressure on the system and lead to ruptures. To help prevent freezing, insulate the pipes, especially if they are exposed or in areas that aren’t otherwise well-regulated.
Water damage can be expensive and stressful to clean up. At SERVPRO of Catawba County West, we have highly trained professionals who can help you navigate the process and get your home back to normal. If you have water damage in the Hickory, NC area, call us anytime at (828) 322-4400!
3 Tips to Prevent Flooding
Flooding can happen to nearly anyone, so it's a good idea to take some preventative steps!
Within the past year, we’ve had two major storm events: one last June and one this past February. This caused a lot of homes and businesses to have flooding. For many, it was a wakeup call to purchase flood insurance; for others, it was a call-to-action to further fortify their property. Even if you weren’t affected these last two incidents, there are a few things you can do to prevent flooding in the future.
- Clean your gutters. Yes, everyone’s least favorite chore is actually one of the most important ways you can prevent flooding. Your gutters serve as a first line of defense against rain because it redirects it from your home. If you allow them to accrue a buildup of leaves and other debris, it can cause water to pool up and flood your home.
- Consider landscaping your home. Some homes are better positioned than others to avoid flooding. This isn’t true for homes on a downward slope or without sufficient drainage. The ground should always slope away from your home, and water needs places to drain to prevent it from pooling. For tips and ideas on how to achieve this, check out this resource!
- Install a sump pump. If you have a basement, then a sump pump is going to be your friend. This device captures water in your basement and then pumps it out of your home. If you don’t have one already, consider investing in one. If you do have one, make sure to maintain it so it still works when you need it!
There are many steps you can take to prevent flooding, but there’s still a chance your home could be affected. If you do have flooding, don’t panic! Our professional team at SERVPRO of Catawba County West has helped thousands of homes and businesses recover from disasters. You can call us anytime at (828) 322-4400!
The Fire Damage Cleanup Process
If your home has a fire, there’s a lot you’ll have to worry about. At SERVPRO of Catawba County West, what we don’t want you to worry about is your home or belongings. Our professionally trained team has helped thousands of homeowners recover from fires, flooding, and more. Although the fire cleanup process can vary to some degree, we’ve outlined the steps you can expect us to take.
- Assessing the damage. When you first call our office, we’ll dispatch somebody from our team to visually inspect the damages. This will allow us to determine next steps and prepare the necessary crews and equipment.
- Extract any water damage (if applicable). If you had to call the local fire department, your home will more than likely also have water damage. Because water can present its own set of challenges, we’ll have a team extract the water and begin the drying process.
- Inventory, pack out, and restore your belongings. We know that your possessions are often irreplaceable, so we put a lot of care and attention into restoring them. Our contents specialists take photos of all your possessions and digitally inventory them into our system. We then box and relocate them to our warehouse to be professionally cleaned and restored.
- (Note: Some items may not be salvageable, but we always speak with you before disposing of anything.)
- Clean your home’s interior. Barring any extreme circumstances, our team will clean the interior of your home, including the walls, ceiling, and carpets. We will also clean your home’s HVAC system, which will be contaminated with soot and other debris. In some cases, we are even available to do the repair work!
- Return your belongings. Once the cleaning and repair processes are complete, our team will return your restored belongings back to your home. This is the final step in getting your home back to normal!
We’ve seen first-hand how devastating fires can be, so we understand how stressful these situations can be. If you have a house fire and need our professional cleanup services, call us anytime at (828) 322-4400!