3 Signs That You Might Have Mold Growing in Your Home
The harsh reality is that mold is everywhere—indoors and outdoors. But that doesn’t mean it needs to take up residence in your home. While it’s important to treat mold growth as soon as you notice it, how do you know it’s happening on your property?
- You see it. While this seems like an obvious sign, many homeowners have seen signs of mold growth without realizing what they were actually looking at. For example, some spores are so small they resemble dirt. Don’t assume that all molds look the same!
- Your home smells musty. Mold needs moisture to grow, which is why a mold-infested house smells musty. In many cases, since mold is not always in visible areas, this smell will be the only indication you will have!
- You’ve recently had a leak or similar water problem. If you’ve had any kind of water damage, your home is at high risk of having mold growth. Even when you think you’ve dried up any puddles or wet spots, water can be absorbed into walls and other porous materials. Because of this, mold can grow undetected until it becomes a major problem.
If you have any of these indicators, you should have a mold inspector visit your home. Their tests will be able to determine if you have a growth problem. If you do, be sure to call a mitigation and restoration company to help you take your home back.