What to Do When Deep Fat Frying Causes Fire Damage in Brookford Homes
Cleaning Up Smoke Odors and Damage Is a SERVPRO High Priority for Your Home
Many homeowners in Brookford own a deep fat fryer or are used to cooking ingredients at high temperatures, with lots of oil. Whether your vice is doughnuts, fries, chicken, or crispy fish, it is important to do it right. Deep fat fryers are a common cause of residential fires because hot oil is a danger.
When it is heated up, it starts to move erratically, and it can stick to surfaces and ignite. This type of fire damage in Brookford homes burns hot and fast, and it can be difficult to extinguish. It has been known to cause severe destruction, but the good news is that SERVPRO can help with cleanup and repairs. Keep reading to find out how our team deals with kitchen fires caused by hot grease and cooking fat.
The first step is to open all windows and doors in the kitchen. It encourages the flow of clean air and creates an environment which is safe for work. Be careful to keep the kitchen isolated from the remainder of the home to reduce smoke circulation. If your kitchen is in a basement and does not have any windows, call SERVPRO fast.
Mild to moderate pan fires tend to burn directly upwards. Therefore, when a fire gets extinguished quickly, the charred materials are usually restricted to a small area (a column around the cooker). The rest of the room may not burn, but it is likely to be covered in thick, greasy soot. SERVPRO removes all burnt items (oven door, cabinet doors, and damaged sections of flooring).
The tricky thing about kitchen fires is that they produce an oily type of soot. It cannot be dry-wiped from surfaces as it smears upon contact. The best method is to use a high alkali detergent and controlled amounts of water. Cleaning chemicals thin some paints, so it may be necessary to redecorate sections of the wall afterward. This can get real messy, save efforts and money by calling in SERVPRO to mitigate the damages.
While the walls are being cleaned, and we have found replacements for the damaged items, SERVPRO turns to the issue of odor. Grease and cooking oils have a distinct smell, and it is very unpleasant after a fire. It is not enough just to ventilate. Generally, deodorization is required. We install ozone generating machines if the house is vacated, or hydroxyl generators, if not, to capture and transform the smoke and soot particles. Thermal fogging, and HVAC system cleaning may also be needed to finish the service.
At SERVPRO of Catawba County West, we deal with kitchen fires on a regular basis. We understand how much damage they can cause and know that affected homes need lots of expert help. If you live in the Brookford area and need fast repairs, call us 24/7 at (828) 322-4400.